Sunday, September 4, 2011

Nut Based Museli!

Good news everybody (says the proffesor from futurama!)! I got a medical interview offer at Flinders university, woot. Now the hard work starts again. But anyway, back to gastronomic concerns:

Many of you have probably been missing the quick and easy approach of pouring milk on museli. It is true that it is cheap, convenient, easy and suposedly healthy. After all, its swiss! But is it? Well our "fat chance challenge" might shed some light on then, then again, it might not! Either way I thought of a substitute for us high faters and made it the other day, and it was very very good.

The ingredients used are as follows:
2 cups almonds
2 cups macadamias
2 cups walnuts
2 cups shredded coconut
o.5 cup raisins and or currants (or other dried fruit of your choice)
- 1 blender

You can guess were it goes from here right?

Basic recipe is as follows:
blend the 2 cups of almonds FIRST, until they are roughly quartered (some obviously more than others). Then throw in the 2 cups of macadamia nuts and blend until they are all roughly halved. Then throw in the walnuts until they are roughly quartered. By now, as long as you've mixed abit, most stuff is very small, with a few odd nice chunks of macadamia throughtout! THe reason for adding the nuts in this sequential order is because of how hard they are to break down (almonds, then macadamias and then walnuts).

Then simply throw the nut museli base in a big container with 2 cups of shredded coconut and with half a cup of raisins and mix like crazy. Simply put a few spoonfulls in a bowl and serve with decadant cream and you've got yourself an awesome fatty, proteiny, but lower carbohydrate breakfast!!

Obviously this recipe can be modified as you see fit. Any sorts of nuts could be used (though i doubt peanuts would taste as good...and anyway, there not technically nuts! Damn legumes :P) and any dried fruit. Watch the dried fruit though. While it is a useful sweetening tool it is such because its RIDICULOUSLY sugar dense! Raisins are about 70% pure sugar... :S. That's why we use such a small amount versus the nuts! Cream makes this recipe awesome. Also, peter arnold should make lots of this when his macadamia tree is are in season. What a lucky man!

Try and enjoy, tell me what you think. I'll see If i can upload a picture soon too!

P.S: Now you've no excuses for not eating a high fat breakfast on the go!

4 comments:

  1. I have an excuse! No blender :(
    Maybe I can use yours... hint hint ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sam, I am Danielle's uni medicine wanna be friend haha I've been on a paleo eating regime for about two years now. Best thing I ever did!

    You should look at this website for recipes. It's fantastic! She has a book too which is great. I do all the cooking at my place for my family so most of them eat this way the majority of the time, and the health benefits have been amazing! I don't get colds, I am less tired, I lost a lot of weight...it was really incredible how fast I saw the effects.

    http://www.elanaspantry.com/

    This blog is a great idea! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure how this works, or if people that have commented get informed of this but firstly:
    Laure: YOu must try the new chocolate crunch recipe!
    Olivia: Nice to meet another wanabe medic! Sorry this reply is so lax, the site has fallen into a state of disrepair, something I intend to fix, when I finally find some time! ANd yes, all palaeolithic baking roads lead to elenas pantry. I had actually heard of it and indeed, for my birthday Danielle made me a humble yet delicious carrot cake from her blog or something to that effect. Was great. Still, it does use a fair amount of dried fruit and honey. From my rather hardline scientific approach i'm not sure if the form of sugar makes as great a difference as people imagine when it comes to blood sugar spikes and so on? Still, all equal should I have to eat carbohydrate sources id rather get it from fruit produce than wheat...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, there's still a lot of honey. But she uses agave most of the time, and the blood sugar spike is nothing remotely like refined sugar. Agave is between 10 and 20 depending on which one, honey is around 60 and refined sugar about 70. I use it a lot in cakes, a lot of diabetics cook with is. That carrot cake recipe is great, although I often make up my own ones using hers as a scaffold. It's such a great source though!

    ReplyDelete